Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Buggin out!

It is school time so that means dreaded contagious things such as flu, colds, lice, or pink eye.  It is always something when you have school aged children, unless you are truly blessed and lucky!  We've had our run in with all sorts of stuff.  In preschool Khloe got the flu, numerous colds, and scabies.  Yes, the dreaded scabies.  In kindergarten, well actually a few weeks prior to it starting, she ended getting lice.  That was literally a nightmare to get rid of.  Well this year we were introduced to something we have never really heard of and never known anyone to have it, well if they did we were never told. 

Pin worms. 

Friday night, while shopping at Target, Khloe needed to use the bathroom.  Upon exiting the bathroom she says to me, "Mom!  There was worms in my poop!"  She had, of course, already flushed the toilet so I figured she was making up a story, she's really good at story telling.  So I shrugged it off but told her next time she goes to please show me these worms.  Sure enough Sunday she calls me in to inspect her poop... and there they were... FREAKING WORMS!  I was in complete and utter shock!  She thought they were cool.  So off to the doctor we went first available appointment on Monday. 

From what I got from the doctor, pin worms are extremely common and even more extremely contagious, especially in children.  They can be breathed in through our air, picked up by touching something another infected person had touched, basically if it is around you you're probably going to get it.  I thought at first it was because of hygiene, and sometimes that can contribute to getting them but its not fully the cause.  They can get worse and spread and never go away due to hygiene but even the cleanest of person could get them.  It takes just one time of breathing one of those suckers in and bam! you got worms.  

The treatment was simple, a dose of a banana flavored liquid and washing of all bedding, floors, toilets, clothes, and bodies every days for the next few weeks.  Everyone in the household had to be treated, even though she was the only one with symptoms.  I've spent the last day scrubbing the absolute crud out of my house.  If there were any worms today they are dead now.  But, I will start all over tomorrow and every day following for at least two weeks.  Needless to say my house will be the cleanest its ever been for two weeks and our water bill will go up considerably! 

I swear if its a bug and likes human hosts we will get it. 

If you suspect you or a loved one may have pin worms feel free to click here for more information on symptoms and treatments.  

Here's a funny meme... it kind of relates since lice suck just as bad, maybe worse, than pin worms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment