Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Episode Two: Wipe Yo Self!

Today there were no crazy toddler mischief.  He was adorable and sweet.  There were tons of shared kisses and "wuvvvvv yewwwww mommy!"  I cherish days like today because I know they are limited.  I know one day he will grow up and no longer love me the way he does now.  It will get replaced by teen angst and independence as he grows older.  It's a sad fact that each mother must learn to accept. 

Today, however, did include a doctor's visit for our six year old. 

She has A.D.H.D. and boy is that a whole different level of parenting.  Each parent handles it differently and sometimes I don't do such a good job.  She can't keep thoughts in line, blurts out randomness constantly, and has a hard time focusing, just like most people with A.D.H.D.  She is probably the smartest child we have out of the three and trust me I am one proud mommy.  Despite going un-medicated for a while at the end of her kindergarten year and only being on medicine since she was five she has learned so much and excels at her school work.  She was even able to test higher than the majority of her class while being un-medicated!  Talk about super huge success there!

Anyway, today she had an appointment for us to talk with her doctor about trying a different type of medication than she has previously been on.  Daddy wanted her to not be on any type of medication so bad and because of him we went without it all summer and for the first two weeks of school.  But sadly she is disrupting her class with her constant fidgeting and verbal diarrhea, so for the sake of her classmates we decided medication will be the best option for her for the time being. 

I, also, wanted to make sure she had no type of urinary tract infection or yeast infection because for some reason she was constantly using the bathroom.  I'm talk every 20-30 minutes, if even that long, she would need a bathroom break.  Every single place we went to, even if she has been many many many times before and used the bathroom there before, she had to go.  I figured she was just wanting to go check the bathroom out to make sure she wasn't missing anything but then again you can never be too sure and I needed professional confirmation.  Well, my gut feeling was right.   She was just checking things out after all.  No infection. 

We did have to have the wipe talk.

Whats the wipe talk you ask?  Or if you're a parent you probably don't need to ask and already know.  Well, the wipe talk is where you explain the importance of wiping and wiping properly.  I never thought growing up that poop and pee would be such a huge part of my life!  The doctor informed her to always wipe front to back to prevent any type of contamination of nasty poo into her lady parts.   All the poop and pee talk defiantly had our little girl interested and entertained. 

I never imagined my first grader having an hour worth of homework in the third week of school... But there it was sitting on my dining room table.  We had to go through all of her vocabulary words, sight words, see how many words she could read in a minute, and then do one of three activities she has to complete by Friday.  Today's activity was to write her vocabulary words in alphabetical order.  Please explain to me how is my six year old to write something in alphabetical order if she has no idea how to do that in the first place?  It took forever to explain in to her because how the heck am I qualified to teach her something like that?  It was difficult but I think she got the jist.  I, also, had her write her words five times each to ensure she knew how to spell them.  And she did.  She knew before we even started tonight's work. 

She's now sound a sleep.  Not that she was happy about having to go to bed!  Tomorrow, though, she will be up and excited to spend another day at school where she has friends and gets to learn and be away from her brother. 

As I sit here typing this I see the toddler starting to stir, he's been asleep in a chair for about forty-five minutes or so.  He falls off the chair gracefully catching himself and stumbled over to his Daddy.  Then he lays on the floor, where our kitten cuddles up to him.  They sleep for about two minutes and then I guess he realizes he is on the floor.  So now he is cuddled on my arm fast asleep and sweaty.  This guys is what its all about.  This is what makes being a parent worth it.  The little things like cuddles and sweaty heads laying on our arms. 



*If you think your child may have A.D.H.D. or A.D.D. please visit your health care provider and discuss your concerns.  Your mommy gut feelings are worth the visit!  You can also check here to learn more about A.D.H.D.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment